Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rhyndir Union

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Overview:
Quote :
This is the empire of the Rhyndir union. Its existence came about 1000 years ago from several village leaders; it has allowed the people to extend their advances over the whole world and created a massive industrial revolution. The people are happy with the government and the protection that it brings for them.

Base Sector: 19 - Tibboh

Shaping Force: Productivity
Population: 1 billion (Kretzels) 2 billion (Sno'yarc)

Politics
Spoiler:

Important People
Spoiler:
Economy
Spoiler:

Ecology
Spoiler:

Military
Spoiler:
Religion: None/ secular

Population
Population: 1 billion Kretzel / 2 billion Sno’yarc
Urban: 10%
Rural/agriculture: 85%
Technology Development Zones: 5%
All Residence is underground to conserve space for agriculture
Literacy Rate: All

Gender Ratio: 1:1
Fertility Rate: Medium
Life Expectancy: Average

ACACIUS
Rhyndir Union Terraf11

TIBBOH
Rhyndir Union Me3_ed12

Planetary Information
Sector: 19- Rydok
Adjacent planets in solar system: none
Moons: 0
Owner: Rhyndir Union
Population: 3 billion Sno'yarc and Kretzel
Resources: Agriculture, few common metals, Deuterium, Tritium, Heavy water, alot of Silica, alot of Carbon mostly in the form of graphite
Strategic importance:
Lots of heavy hydrogen isotopes, binary system allows for a cheap and stable location for a space station, Nearby Brown Dwarf that could feed fusion reactors for an entire empire if it can be accessed.
Spoiler:

Sector: 19

The Kretzels; Sno'yarc

The Kretzels are small crustaceans that have a symbiotic relationship with the Sno'yarc. Kretzels have an extremely high metabolism and eat about 4000 calories a day for sustenance. However, genetic engineering has also allowed them to increase crop output to keep a modest population size. This high metabolism is due to the extremely active neural processes they possess. The result is a hyper intelligent race that can telecommunicate, but only with their kind. They stand at 1 foot tall and 2 feet long, but create architecture necessary for the Sno’yarc to have access to. Their main trait is their ability to couple with Sno'yarc to control their minds and bodies, they couple directly to the Sno’yarc nervous system and this ability is exclusive to the Sno’yarc. Their rare genetic structure using ions and isotopes instead of adenine, guanine, thiamine, and cytosine causes them to have an allergic reaction to ingesting DNA of other creatures that don’t share this structure. They are frail in comparison to other species; they have no shell unlike most crustaceans.
Rhyndir Union Coconu11
The Sno'yarc are the former intelligent race of Raleigh. With a stature of 2 meters and a centaur body consisting of 2 sets of legs, a single set of arms, and a prehensile nose, they had built the technology to colonize their sister planet. A war had started between the two planets. The result of which was the destruction of the Sno'yarc on Tibboh and the mutation of the Acacius inhabitants to being stronger yet dumber versions over the generations. The mutations on Tibboh had given the Kretzels the mutations they needed to become more intelligent. Thus, upon finding the brutish Sno’yarc on the moon when the Kretzels landed upon it, they found they could couple with them as they had generations before. They then used genetic engineering to adapt the Sno'yarc to different situations such as war and construction.

Culture
Spoiler:

The Kretzel Naval Forces
Spoiler:

Technology
Spoiler:
Race Characteristics
CharacteristicProsCons
Highly intelligentresearch quicklyincreased food consumption
Genetic Engineeringbetter Sno’yarc adaptations, better crop yieldNone
High Quality ShipsMuch better ship constructionFewer ships from resource strain
Resource Deprived PlanetMore resource efficient construction techniques (this doesn’t affect rare materials), advanced mining techniques that find even the smallest traces of valuable resourcesvery few resources
Citizen approvalGovernment is uncontestednone
Sno’yarc Couplingenvironment protection, industrial manpower, advanced hand-to-hand combat, and computers that can be coupled by only Kretzels and are inaccessible to others due to differing interfaceeven higher food consumption, weak when uncoupled
Small Kretzel sizeSmall hallways that permit only beings 1.5 feet or shorter
(ships have some hallways sized normally because of the need for Sno’yarc)
none
Unique genetic structuremore stable genetic structurenot familiar with typical DNA genetic engineering, All food not made by the life forms native to Tibboh produce allergic reactions upon ingestion

Last edited by cave_dweller on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am; edited 20 times in total
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Pretty neat friend. Where's the community at to comment?
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/1232513055
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

Anyone, please let me know if there is any unreasonable tech or something I might be missing. If you dont understand something, I can elaborate and adjust the post accordingly. Danka
Back to top Go down
Marauder
Dedicated Poster
Marauder

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Well I've got few problems and suggestions,

For the problems, I'm pretty sure you can only have one level one planet for a starting race, thats what I was told by Gambit unless he changed his mind, a moon is cool but not two planets, its just too powerful.

Second, from my understanding starter races do not have fusion and must either research or get them from other players.

Third, Aerogel doesn't stop EMP's, its an insulator and it keeps things from overheating, it does not stop an EMP from frying your equipment.

Those are my only complaints

My suggestions are as follows

Hydrogen Isotopes is a really odd thing to have, Hydrogen doesn't naturally form as a gas and forms covalent bonds on earth, and if you make hydrogen gas naturally occurring on your planet... well I would recommend not lighting any matches.

Also your power is going to be off the charts for all those weapons, that would mean your recharge time for that lightyear cannon, which by the way will be a bitch to reload, is going to be screwed. Those particle shields running full time along with other stuff are going to be a major drain on electronics, air supplies, facilities for personnel, food processors etc. Ships have a lot of systems and the last thing you want is to flicker out in the middle of a fight with a 2 hour recharge time.

Other than that I liked it, it looks interesting and will be a welcome addition to the game.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Pretty much everything Marauder said. This isn't perfect, but it's good. I like the format, especially that table. I might have to copy it.
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

More than one planet on the start still only counts as one homeworld in total resources because of starter fairness.

Marauder is correct on his insulators and fusion. The hydrogen we can let slide with science fiction.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm

For the EMP protection, if a ship is covered in an electronically conductive material, which aerogel is, it has the same effect as a faraday cage.
I reduced the size of the planets to act as only the size of a single planet and I can treat it as one planet if you want, this also hurts the empire because of the expensive process of lifting off and landing on a planet.
Ill deal with not having fusion
And finally, the ship is supposedto be rediculous, i will increase the reload time though if you want
Back to top Go down
Marauder
Dedicated Poster
Marauder

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 am

A faraday cage protects you from magnets and very weak things, all computers have those right now and can still be hit by emp. By being conductive material you assist the emp in moving more quickly through your system. Trust me I went through a tooth and nail battle with the GM and had to study emps.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 am

The hydrogen I forgot to mention would be protected by a cushion of helium because of the density differences if it isn't converted into heavy water with the oxygen. If anything I wrote a redundancy, just use the heavy water as the source of hydrogen isotopes

aerogel nanocomposites can be prepared by impregnating the hydrogel with solution containing ions of a transition metal. The impregnated hydrogel is then irradiated with gamma rays, leading to precipitation of nanoparticles of the metal. Such composites can be used as catalysts, sensors, electromagnetic shielding, and in waste disposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

I didn't have to look very far, and check the new energy storage tech I put in, i want to know if that will be ok. You are very helpful Thank You

I think that is everything if the energy storage is ok
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 am

A faraday cage has to be made out of conductive material. That's how it works. However, I'm not sure how effective it would be against a nuclear or fusion explosion, since the energy output is tremendous. It's hard to find detailed and accurate information about EMP and EM shielding.
Back to top Go down
Marauder
Dedicated Poster
Marauder

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 am

From what you're saying, you're no longer using Aerogel, you're using nanocomposites, which if I'm not mistaken, starter races do not have access to. Since the base Aerogel you want to use is Carbon, and shouldn't have access to nanocomposites, I've got a problem with that. In theory anyway, you could create a nanocomposite out of anything to make it EMP resistant.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

Ok, conductivity in a faraday cage depends upon the size of the holes in it. If those holes are as small as the holes in aerogel, a few feet of the stuff should eliminate any possible radiation, if you don't like that ill just invent something unfair and eliminate any possibility of you winning. By putting this in the form of aerogel, i am making it more expensive than just wrapping my ships wires and computers in aluminum or something. On top of that, gases, which are what mostly make aerogel, become more coonductive the more they are exposed to radiation and electromagnetic fields especially Röntgen rays (AKA gamma and X- Rays) Because the gas fills in the gaps and reaches conductivity, the Faraday cage is perfected and all electromagnetic pulses are blocked.
Back to top Go down
Marauder
Dedicated Poster
Marauder

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

Not really theres a so far proven way to harden shit with nukes, and you want more holes, faraday cages just don't have the power, so the Aerogel wont work against much better metals. Look up porous metals that we use for stopping EMP's.
Back to top Go down
TheGunrunner
Dedicated Poster
TheGunrunner

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 am

Ask Judge. If he says it's fine, then whatev.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Gasses still have holes in them, just nothing is gonna get through an EMP protection that uniform, there is a reason why EMP protection is wrapping cables in conductive metals and not just a cage, it's all about the size of those holes. If a hole is smaller than the wavelength of the radiation, radiation does not enter. A Faraday cage in the end is just a hollow conductor, the inside being protected by the tendency of electricity to be on the skin of a conductor (aptly named the skin effect). The aerogel conducts, it has ridiculously small pores, the gas filling those pores acts as back up the more the intense high powered rays touch it, the thickness of the layer of protection further diminishes entropic (random) rays from getting through. Fusion or fission don't have the power to punch that unless stable and that can only come from the power of an entire sun in a concentrated burst at the ship directly. Any nuclear weapon doesn't emit enough gamma rays small enough to enter between the holes to damage the wiring. The ship is inside a conductive bubble that redirects the EMP current, what is still flawed?

Obviously, the skin effect does not effect direct currents and therefore a stable magnetic fields like planets and stars, this relies on short burst EM radiation from the attacker, a sun or planet will still go right through, like a bullet through clothing that kills germs. One of the other empires has electrical weapons that would go through most likely, and the shields would also, in the case of an EMP, still go down but they are shields, they come back. Same with communications, but only temporary. Like, flicker temporary...

http://wiki.backyardbrains.com/Experiment:_The_Faraday_Cage

Many Faraday cages have holes in them for practical purposes (to see inside the cage). Cages made in this way with fencing or mesh material still have conducting surfaces that generate the necessary barriers for electric fields, but there are types of electromagnetic waves such as radio or microwave that could theoretically enter the holes. To prevent this, the cage needs to be built with holes that are sufficiently smaller than the wavelength of these different emissions.

That is an excerpt on Faraday cage construction. Read on

and this is what the skin effect basically is, and why the skies aren't full of wires from the power plant down the street. Thank you Mr. Tesla!
Rhyndir Union 02067

Last edited by cave_dweller on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGunrunner
Dedicated Poster
TheGunrunner

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Ask. Judge. This is like watching two star trek fans arguing. It's simple, just ask him for an answer and if he says "Yes." YOU WIN. So, please, just ask him because honestly I can't see either of you backing down.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 pm

TheGunrunner wrote:
Ask. Judge. This is like watching two star trek fans arguing. It's simple, just ask him for an answer and if he says "Yes." YOU WIN. So, please, just ask him because honestly I can't see either of you backing down.
You're right this is probably very annoying for you
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm

cave_dweller wrote:
if you don't like that ill just invent something unfair and eliminate any possibility of you winning.

haha oh u mak funny

cave_dweller wrote:
TheGunrunner wrote:

Yeah I don't appreciate new players coming in with that tone to a member with seniority.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I think cave has won the argument. I was motivated to do a little research myself and found most of what he said to be correct. Since aerogels are in use today, it's not unreasonable to assume that a science fiction empire would have them. They could plausibly be used as a form of EMP protection.
Back to top Go down
TheGunrunner
Dedicated Poster
TheGunrunner

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Ok. My thing, then. I think you should put "WIP" (Work in Progress) in the description, since there's a few code things that are showing. Besides that, you have a ship type with a quantity reading 0. Ok, just don't put it in until you decide to research and build it later.
Back to top Go down
Marauder
Dedicated Poster
Marauder

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Just a few problems. A faraday cage needs something thats not conductive in its circuit so it can bleed off that energy and not fry the hardware. The problem with what you're using is first, a completely conductive faraday cage, that wont work as previously described. Second, assuming the aerogel can function perfectly for a faraday cage, you face problems in its gas pockets. The reason the nano composites use metal in them is to absorb the EMP and draw it towards it. Your gas wont stop the EMP, and again one more assumption; assuming the gas inside the aerogel can block emp's, theres no way to stop air from becoming trapped in the aerogel. Because of this, the aerogel will have gaps and collapse the faraday cage you're trying to create.

Just a side note, please don't be hostile to the other players or to me when you're making posts. We're trying to help you and we all had to go in the same things making our empires, and nobody is trying to screw you out of tech, everyone has to start with nothing and begin their research at base levels. The problem with letting something small go is you could get hit by this in the middle of your fleet battle, and then be out of protection, power or arms, which I don't think I need to explain, would make you a very unhappy camper.
Back to top Go down
cave_dweller
Scrub
cave_dweller

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

cave_dweller wrote:
TheGunrunner wrote:

I was talking about me being annoying because I persisted without asking Gambit, it wasn't out of hostility.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rhyndir Union Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhyndir Union   Rhyndir Union Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhyndir Union
Page 1 of 1