Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laeira Nesafar

Go down 
+7
Pat
Spadge
Cakebread
Munroe
thorogoodd
Markka
Foshizzle
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 2:37 am

"The wind and the mountains sing a beautiful song if we all listen."

Laeira Nesafar Leliana_SA

Race: High Elf
Birthplace: Iselanduran Mountains
Deity: Various nature spirits

Biography:

Long ago a small Elven tribe, the Iseldurn, lived at the foothills of their self-named mountains, until goblin invaders forced them upwards into the mountains. When the goblins continued attacking the Iseldurn elders begged for help from the High Elves of the west, and though the Elves assisted, they demanded annexation of Iseldurn into their realm. The elders hesitantly accepted. This occured many hundreds of years ago.

Laeira was born into this Elven community that still lived in the mountains and, though a realm of the High Elves, they maintained fiercely independent attitudes, keeping their same name and culture among themselves. The Iseldurn had always been a peaceful people, enjoying music and seeing it as a spiritual link, not just entertainment. Men who travelled the roads near and around the mountains often called it the 'Singing Mountains' and traders called the Elves the 'Singing Mountain Clan' for good reason; musicians and bards were abundant. Though the High Elf leaders of the group looked down on them for cultural focus over traditional Elf focuses, such as scholarship and archery, they didn't care, continuing their practice.

At the young age of 50 Laeira began to play the mandolin, and by 80 she could play the mandolin with expert precision and could even play a few flute tunes. As with all Elves, she trained with archery and small blades, but wasn't as good in either as most Elves, though overtime she greatly improved her archery skill from her time spent in the wilderness in meditation. By 150 she decided to leave the town her people called home and travel down into the world below, where she hoped to make a living for herself and bring her abilities to use for Men and other races. Arriving at Breethel, a town over from Surna, she spent decades trying to get a good job, even travelling to nearby cities for work, though few places would hire an Elf. The Count overseeing these cities and Breethel was decidedly anti-Elf, making her future seem bleak. However, on a rainy night, she received a letter offering her work in Surna, a town near Breethel. Packing up what little she had, she travelled to the town to begin life anew.

Skills:
    Master at playing the mandolin.
    Excellent at playing the flute.
    Skilled archer, able to shoot quickly and effectively.
    Excellent tracker and scout, can remember trails and make identifications easily.
    Elven agility and speed, can sprint and leap with the agility of a woodland Elf.

Inventory:
    Three old peasant dresses.
    Two sets of old shoes.
    One set of leather gloves.
    One green silk dress.
    One green corset.
    One small Yew bow with 15 arrows.
    Old Elven dagger.
    Several crystal shards.
    Two-piece leather bikini.
    One wood axe.

Last edited by Foshizzle on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
Markka
Dedicated Poster
Markka

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 am

Moved to Approval. Silly Shizzle.

I'm not an adept in elven lore and such, but this seems like a fairly basic and acceptable character to start out with. Accept, unless it conflicts with established lore, in which case my approval would be Pending.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 am

No such thing as a High Elf, more to come as I read.

Where are the Iseduran Mountains, or whatever it was you typed? Along with that "Singing Mountains" no such lore has been created.

"though few places would hire an Elf." This is incorrect lore, elves are respecting beings in our lore, with equal say in matters as Humans.

There is no such "Count" that oversees the cities around Surna, they would all fall under Surnan control, or just have their own control.
Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 am

This location and race don't apply strictly to the immediate area. I made some from distant areas, thought it was interesting. In the particular places she went, the people were generally bigoted to her. Not everywhere is like Surna. Count is again something from a distant area.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 am

Seems acceptable to me, but there do seem to be some lore discrepancies. I'll defer to Pat or someone who actually knows something about elves in Olden.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:19 am

thorogoodd wrote:
"though few places would hire an Elf." This is incorrect lore, elves are respecting beings in our lore, with equal say in matters as Humans.

Doesn't mean an overarching attitude has no exceptions. No need to be so bloody full stop about it. :3

A good character and page, but you might need to tweak a few things. There's nothing tremendously lore destroying, I wager, so this shouldn't be more than a couple Pat / Xeloras advised change of sentences.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:22 am

Krug wrote:
A good character and page, but you might need to tweak a few things. There's nothing tremendously lore destroying, I wager, so this shouldn't be more than a couple Pat / Xeloras advised change of sentences.

My thoughts exactly. Well, and I'm not crazy about the name. Open, direct references to other works is taboo.
Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 am

I'll change it if you want me to.

Last edited by Foshizzle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 am

Well i don't see anything wrong, the high elf lore is kosher, just another tribe of elves, not another race.
Just a tribe that really takes to music.

No need to coloncrucifcy over that really, if we just make Aeria with a couple cultures then its like we're really pushing the assimilation of cultures a bit borg.

Acceptemente because this is thought out instead of jololol jalop I elf now stuff.

Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:51 am

Cakebread wrote:
Well i don't see anything wrong, the high elf lore is kosher, just another tribe of elves, not another race.
Just a tribe that really takes to music.

No need to coloncrucifcy over that really, if we just make Aeria with a couple cultures then its like we're really pushing the assimilation of cultures a bit borg.

We have at least 8 different regions / nations with god knows how many different cultures. Trust me, we're in no danger of cultural uniformity. It's arguably worse that most characters are from Sanctimonia or newly made-up locations instead of one of the many neglected areas to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 am

Cakebread wrote:

I like Cakebread's view on this. Obviously there's official word to be had, but it's highly possible there's just another tribe, dwelling somewhere the lore doesn't outline in concrete.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Your name is two elven cities from LOTR.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am

Change it, please.
Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 5:55 am

Changed.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:36 am

Aw nice. Great name :3

My approvals indeed.
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:40 am

Character seems fine. Approved.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 am

Now, hold on. There are a few things that need to be said. Our Elves have a few significant differences from the 'basic fantasy elves'.

As I understand from reading the biography and interpreting it with olden's lore, the Iseldurn tribe was a small number of elves that left the Ahdsurian Isles to probably settle somewhere in Brython. This is fine, but since most elven colonies would already be part of their realm when they established it, there must have been something that broke the link. Why did they leave for their mountains?

Now, there is one possible answer. In those days, the Elves had a lot of trouble with their colonies, mostly over the law of the 1,440,000. You see, according to Elven Orthodoxy, the Elves have been commanded by their God, Aten, to never number more than 1,440,000 at any one time. The reasons for this are various, but it's very strongly enforced in the Isles. However, it is the main point of contention between the Elves and their colonies, as the distance and the open lands fit for population begin to loosen the colonizing elves' belief in the population law. This is what happened in Nuihadhas, to the Wild Elves. Others left earlier than the establishment of the colonies. In fact, while there were many other reasons in each case for their separation, one of the reasons for the departure of the Dark Elves and the Golden Elves (Dvergar/Dwarves) was a rejection of the population limit. Another possibility is that they took another god other than Aten, which would be cause for leaving. Of course, accepting another god and rejecting the population limit go hand in hand.

So, why would they have left? Did they reject the population limit and then leave, or did they take their nature spirits (which are called Vaettir in Olden, and worshiped by a number of different tribes and species in Olden, including the Wild Elves) as their new gods, (which would usually lead to a rejection of the limit anyway)?

Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Cultural differences many years ago caused it. They simply got tired of living under the society of the Ahdsurian Elves and wanted to make their own society and culture.
Back to top Go down
Mad Clown
Scrublet
Mad Clown

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm

I have roleplayed with your character and she is very interesting so I'm going to have to say approved.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Foshizzle wrote:
Cultural differences many years ago caused it. They simply got tired of living under the society of the Ahdsurian Elves and wanted to make their own society and culture.

Okay. Would they still be living under the population limit, or would they have rejected that too?
Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Pat wrote:
Foshizzle wrote:

Okay. Would they still be living under the population limit, or would they have rejected that too?

They wouldn't really mind it as the population is relatively low, at the most 100,000 in the mountains, so they wouldn't even be close to the population limit.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Mind you 14 440 000 is the law for the total amount of Elves on the face of Aeria, as per the concord.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Rutabega wrote:
Mind you 14 440 000 is the law for the total amount of Elves on the face of Aeria, as per the concord.

So if a census revealed there were more elves on that, the concord would... thin the herd?

I thought they were supposed to be nice :(
Back to top Go down
Foshizzle
Scrub
Foshizzle

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 4:49 am

Munroe wrote:
Rutabega wrote:

So if a census revealed there were more elves on that, the concord would... thin the herd?

It's sensible that some Elves would reject the census. Likely mine would had they not been taken over by High Elves, but still their population is low enough to keep from having any problems.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:45 am

Munroe wrote:
Rutabega wrote:

Well, it depends on whether or not they ever rejected the law in the first place. If they didn't, they are true elves in their eyes. Rightfully part of their nation, holding a sacred place as one of the 1,440,000. However, this would also mean the Elves would expect them to start conducting more orthodox elven rituals and the worship of the gods of the Concord.

If they rejected the law, it makes them less than true elves in their eyes. But they wouldn't really expect them to start obeying the law now; nor would they want it, because it would mean that true elves were being born - stolen, if you will, from the 1,440,000 that should rightfully live in the Isles - among apostate elves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Laeira Nesafar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laeira Nesafar   Laeira Nesafar Empty

Back to top Go down

Laeira Nesafar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Aeria Roleplay :: Character Compendium-
Jump to: